List of Martial Arts Punches & Strikes
This section provides instructions and/or information on a wide variety of martial arts punches, hand strikes and arm strikes. It will help you to learn about techniques such as the straight punch, knife hand strike, palm strike and spinning back fist. You will also learn about more exotic martial arts strikes such as the Tiger Claw and Crane Beak Strike. These punches and strikes are used for self-defense, sparring, breaking techniques, etc.
Students should only practice these martial arts techniques under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor. For additional information, you can visit the sections focused on punching power and punching speed.
Section supported by Punching & Speed Bags
Basic Punches & Strikes - Click on each punch or strike for instructions & videos
Advanced Punches and/or Strike Variations - Click on each punch or strike for instructions & videos
- Back Hand Strike or Back Hand Slap, Karate's Haishu Uchi, etc.
- Bolo Punch
- Crane Beak Strike or Crow's Beak Strike, Wood Hand Strike, Fingers Together Strike, etc.
- Double Fist Punch - This punch uses both hands to strike the target at the same time.
- Eagle Claw
- Eagle Strike
- Ear Clap or Thunderclap Strike, Thunder Palm Fist, etc.
- Extended Index Knuckle Punch or Ippon Ken, Shark Tooth Punch, Pistol Poke, etc.
- Finger Pokes or Scissor Finger Strike, Eye Strike
- Leopard Punch or Half Fist Punch, Knuckle Edge Punch, Half-Clenched Fist Punch, etc. - Used to target narrow areas.
- Liver Punch
- Mouth of Hand Strike
- One Inch Punch - This punch popularized by Bruce Lee is also known as the Wing Chun One Inch Punch.
- One Knuckle Punch or Extended Middle Knuckle Punch, Nakadaka Ken, etc.
- Overhand Punch
- Rabbit Punch
- Ridge Hand Strike - A reverse knife hand strike.
- Sambo Casting Punch or Casting Punch
- Spear Finger Strike - This is also known as Saber Hand Strike or Reinforced Finger Poke.
- Spear Hand
- Spinning Back Fist
- Superman Punch
- Thumb Strike
- Tiger Claw or Throat Strike
- Vertical Punch or Vertical Fist Punch
- Wing Chun Double Punch
Training Equipment for Punches & Strikes
Punches and Strikes by Martial Arts Style