Muaythai Rules & Regulations of Lumpinee Boxing Stadium, B.E. 2500 (1957)
(Alterations & additional edition B.E. 2535 (1992))
ITEM 1: THE RING
Muaythai contests in general. The ring must consist of the following:
(1) The ring must be in two square sizes. One is a small size of 4.90 m. (16 ft.) and the other one is a large size of 7.30 m. (24 ft.) Both sizes are measuring within the ropes.
(2) The ring must be built in a safety, proper level, without any obstruction, and must extend outside the ropes of at least 50 cm. (20 inches). The erect posts of the four corners must be well covered, or in any other ways that will not cause danger to the contestants.
(3) The ring floor must be covered with soft cloths, straw mat, wood filings, compressed cork, and etc.
The ring floor’s thickness must not be less than 2 inches (2.50 cm.) and must not more than 2 inches (5 cm.).
The stadium must be covered with a stretched tight canvas that covered the entire ring floor. There must be 4 paralleled ropes, with a diameter of at least 1.50 inches to 2 inches that stretched from the posts of the corners. The rope heights from the ring floor are: the first rope 55 cm. (1 ft. 10 inch.), the second rope 85 cm. (2 ft. 6 inch), the third rope 115 cm. (3 ft. 10 inch.), and the fourth rope 145 cm. (4 ft. 10 inch.). The ropes must be covered with soft and smooth material. At the 4 corners, the insides of the ropes must be covered with soft materials.
(4) There must be stairs at the opposite corners of the ring for the contestants, referee and others to get up and down.
ITEM 02: THE GLOVES
The boxers must wear gloves that weight of one glove not less than 4 oz. (133.4 g.) and not more than 6 oz. (170.1 g.)
For Mini-Flyweight to Featherweight (100 lbs.-126 lbs.) division, the fighters must use 6 oz. (170.1 g.) gloves.
ITEM 03: BANDAGE
The width of bandage must not exceed 2 inches and the length of each bandage that will be wrap around each fist of the fighter must not exceed the following limit:
(1) From Mini Flyweight to Featherweight Division, the fighter must use the bandage that not exceeding 10 yards or 2 rolls of bandages.
(2) Plaster can be used to cover, but not exceeding 1 packet, or the contestants will agree themselves, and not to cover the fist bone. If agreeable not to exceed 1 packet, and the width of the plaster not to exceed 1 inches, the length not to exceed 5 yards (1 packet).
ITEM 04: THE DRESS
The contestants must dress as follows:
(1) The protector and the trunks must be worn according to the color of the corner. Not to wear cloth and shoes. Keep polite hairstyle, and cleanly shaved. Nails must be cut and short. The superstitious magical substances can be tied on the upper arms or waist, but not to be dangerous to the opponent.
(2) The ankle can be used not exceeding one on each leg.
(3) Belt and anything which is metal is not allowed.
(4) Using of Vaseline or anything which will be dangerous or diskle on the face, arms, or on upper portion of the body are not allowed.
(5) A sacred cord must be worn on the head and one has to pay homage.
ITEM 05: THE RING EQUIPMENT
тАв The ring must have the following equipment:
тАв Resting seat for the boxer before the match, 3 seats for each corner.
тАв 2 towels
тАв 2 bottles of water
тАв 2 buckets of water
тАв Points recording cards
тАв 3 points giving tables
тАв 2 sponges 2 water cups
тАв Tables & chairs for officers 1 or 2 stop watch
тАв 1 box for keeping points recording cards set of First Aid equipment
тАв Board indicating Round, Event & Time
|ITEM 06: CLASS & WEIGHT USED IN THE MATCH|
ITEM 07: WEIGHT-IN
(1) Weighting of the contestants is from 08.00 AM. To 12.00 AM. on the matching day. When the contestants over weight, reweigh is allowed, weighing the limit time not exceeding 12.00 AM. If still over weight, it is stopped, in this weighting, the contestants weigh nakedly.
(2) Before weighing, the contestants must be certified and body check from appointed Diploma Doctor that they are fully healthy to perform the fight.
(3) The weight must not below 100 lbs., age not less than 15 years and the weight must not differ more than 5 lbs.
ITEM 08: NUMBER OF ROUNDS
(1) The fight normally not exceeding 5 round, a round is 3 minutes, interval during the rounds is 2 minutes, and the fight must not less than 3 rounds.
(2) In case of accident causing the fight cannot perform again, if it necessary to get the result, the fight must be more than 3 rounds, and the result of the fight can be decided by points.
ITEM 09: BOXER SECONDS
Each contestants has the fight to have 2 boxer seconds and must be under the following rules:
(1) The boxer seconds will not advise, help or support their contestant during the round in the fight.
(2) The boxer seconds will not give up the fight for the contestant by throwing sponge or towel into the ring, except there is special agreement.
(3) During the fight is going on, both the boxer seconds and their assistant will not standing at the edge of the ring. Before starting each round, the boxer seconds must take towel, bucket, etc. out from the edge of the ring.
(4) The boxer seconds of both corners must dress politely.
(5) If it is a Championship fight, 3 boxer seconds are allowed.
(6) If the boxer seconds or assistant violate the above rules, they may be blamed, and may be decided not to be the boxer seconds of that fight. For the contestant, the referee may warm or blame or decide to be defeated.
ITEM 10: THE DECISION COMMITTEE
There are 4 members, 1 Referee and 3 Judges. The above mentioned member must be well learned and studied, and have experience in doing their duties.
ITEM 11: THE DECISION COMMITTEE
(1) The Referee has the duty to control the fight in the ring according to the rules with justice during the fight.
(2) bias the full power in decision solely, nobody can object it.
(3) Advises the contestant or boxer seconds who do not perform according to the rules.
(4) The Referee must not give points.
(5) Collects & checks total of points in points recording cards of the 3 judges after the fight ends, and decide according to the most points & give the points recording cards tot the chief of decision.
(6) The Referee must use 3 orders i.e.
(7) The Referee must point out some rules to the contestants & chief of the boxer seconds before commencing the first round.
ITEM 12: DUTY OF REFEREE
The Referee has duty to control the match according to the rules with justice.
ITEM 13: POWER OF REFEREE
(1) The Referee has the power to do in the ring.
(2) To stop the fight when considers that one has skill more than the other.
(3) To stop the fight when considers that the contestant has received severe injury so that he cannot continue the fight.
(4) To stop the fight when considers that the contestant does not really fight. In this case, the referee may stop one contestant or both.
(5) In any round of the fight, if the boxer is counted, & is ordered to box and after though consideration that the counted boxer does not fully perform the fight, the Referee has the right to stop the fight.
(6) To stop the fight to warn the boxer when be does not box according to the rules or by other reasons, thus to make justice in the fight and to ready do according to the rules.
(7) To let the disobey boxer out of the fight.
(8) To let the disobey boxer second out of the fight and if reasonable, may let the contestant out of the fight also. (The boxer must responsible his own seconds)
(9) To let the foul boxer out of the fight, whether being warned or not, or if considers that such deed is to let him be defeated by foul.
(10) The decision of h/ the referee in final without any appeal.
(11) In case the referee has made wrong decision, he can re-decide to correct according to points recording cards.
ITEM 14: COUNTING OF THE BOXER FALLING OUT OF THE ROPES
(1) When any boxer falls out of the ring, the referee can count immediately.
a. If the boxer falls out of the ring, the Referee will count. If count up to 20, the fallen boxer cannot come up on the ring, he will be lost by ╨Ъ╨Ю
b. If the fallen boxer can come up on the ring before counting up to 20, he can continue the fight without losing the points counted.
(2) When any boxer falls out of the ring is opposed by the audiences or held up not to go up the ring, the Referee will stop counting and clearly warn and continue counting.
(3) When both the boxers fall out of the ring, the Referee will begin counting, if any boxer tries to hold up by any mean, will stop counting and clearly warn the continue counting. If that boxer does not listen, fines him as lost.
(4) When the boxers fall on the floor by any mean, the Referee separates the boxers first and stand-in the middle and beginning counting.
(5) &nnbsp; In case of both boxers are counted, if one can stand up, stop counting that one and counts the still fallen boxer.
ITEM 15: JUDGES
(1) Three judges must sit at each side of the ring separate from the audiences.
(2) Each judge is free in considering points within the rules.
(3) The judges must pay attention to both the boxers only.
(4) The judges must give points to each boxer in points recording card, after end of each round. Then total up the points after the fight and write the name of the winner with his signature in the points recording card, then give to the Referee.
(5) The points announcing will be done only in Championship title contest.
ITEM 16: THE TIMEKEEPER
The specify duty of the Time-Keeper is to keep time of each round, amount of round, interval time during the round, and stopping time when the Referee gives signal without mistake by following procedures:
(1) Must sit on one side of the ring.
(2) 5 seconds before each round, must clear the ring by giving signal to let the seconds out of the ring.
(3) Giving signal of starting- ending each round by striking the bell.
(4) Stopping the time while temporary pause or when the Referee orders.
(5) Keeping correct time every period by portable watch or stopwatch.
(6) Giving manual signal to the Referee every second the Referee counts when the boxer is fallen down.
(7) At the end of the round which is not final, if there is a boxer falling or the Referee is counting, when the time fished (3 min.), the bell must not be stroked, the striking of bell when the Referee order «BOX»
(8) At the end of final round, if there is a fallen boxer and the Referee is counting, when the time finishes (3 min.), the timekeeper must strike the bell immediately.
ITEM 17: THE DECISION
Must be done according to the following rules:
(1) Wins by Knock Out is the contestant falls on the floor or stands holding the rope losing consciousness on the rope, cannot fight or protect himself within 10 seconds, i.e. when the Referee counts up to 10.
(2) Wins by Technical Knock Out is as follows:
a. When the opponent is disadvantaged and badly injured and may be more dangerous.
b. When any boxer cannot perform his fight, after interval during the rounds.
c. Or if the boxer is injured, i.e.
i. When the referee considers the wound not less than 2 cm. (Approximately 3 stitches)
N. In case the Referee is not sure, he may consult the stadium doctor.
(3) Winning by points. After the fight ends, the Referee collects his own recording card and from the judges at both sides, and decides the boxer who gets most points is the winner.
(4) In case both boxers received severe injuries, so that both of them cannot perform the fight, and have agreed to get the results before the fight, if the fight, has been performed not more than half of the specified round, the decision will be draw, if the fight more than half of the specific round, the decision will be according to the points.
(5) The winning by the contestant is to be lost, i.e. his opponent does not fight according to the rules so that the Referee decides him to lose the fight with or without any warning before.
(6) No decision. When the boxer is decided a «No contest» both or any side, the fight will be declared as «No decision» such as, any boxer has fought with the attempt to lost or both agree with one another or damage to the stadium, the audiences are not in peace so that the fight cannot be continued.
(7) If the decision of the decision Committee cause the audiences are not in peace So that the fight cannot be continued the stadium or Chief of technique section decide as a no contest and declared «No Contest»
ITEM 18: POINTS GIVING
(1) There are 5 points in a round. The best boxer will get full 5 points, and his opponent is reduced by 4┬а1/2l┬а4, 3┬а1/2, 3 accordingly, and not to give points as 4
(2) In the draw round, he will get 5 points each.
(3) The loser in the not clear round will get 4┬а1/2┬аpoints, the winner gets 5 points.
(4) The loser in the clear round will get 4 points, the winner will get 5 points.
(5) The loser that has clearly seen all the round, with least opposition, fallen down
and scramble up again and is counted will get 3┬а1/2┬аpoints, the winner gets 5
(6) The loser who has done for through the round and is counted twice in one round will get 3┬а1/2┬аpoints, the winner gets 5 points.
(7) The giving of points will be considered according to the following rules:
a. Any boxer uses Muaythai weapons (fist, kick, knee, and elbow) according to the rules, against his opponent more is the winner.
b. Any boxer use Muaythai weapons against his opponent severely, clearly, violently, badly injured at most important parts is the winner.
ITEM 19: FOUL
The fight not according to rules and fouls is as follows:
(1) Bite, stab eyes, spit his opponent, stick out the tongue, and strike with head.
(2) To embrace or to throw down or lock arms his opponents.
(3) Holding the rope or trying to hold the rope for his fight and another benefits.
(4) Pretend to fall over his opponent or repeat against his opponent who has been fallen down.
(5) Using judo and wrestling styles.
(6) Using unsuitable words during the fight.
(7) In case the fight is going on and there is embracing, when the Referee orders to stop, but both or one boxer do not do according to his order, let the Referee stops the fight any gives warning, or order to out point. If such fight caused knock out to the contestant or received severe injury, the disobeyed boxer is lost by foul means.
(8) Kneeing the protector purposely, i.e. catch the neck & kneeing the protector, kneeing the protector or throwing knee at the protector. (In consideration of the Referee whether purposely or not)
ITEM 20: FALLEN DOWN
(1) If any part of the body touch the floor except the feet, or standing unconsciously on the rope, or is boxed out of the rope, or standing unconsciously with opened eyes &. falling hands with incapable of protect himself, will consider that boxer as being fallen down.
(2) In case any boxer is fallen down 1 second, the Referee will begin counting, let his opponent steps back to the farthest corner immediately. If he does not step back as ordered, the Referee must stop counting until that boxer does according to order, then the Referee will continue counting from the previous count. When the fallen boxer stands up and is order to box from the Referee. He then can continue his fight.
(3) When any boxer is fallen down, the Referee counts loudly from 1 to 10 with interval of 1 second counting. The Referee must give hand signal also so that the fallen boxer knows that he is counted. Before counting 1, the period from falling to the floor 1 second, then begins counting 1.
(4) If the fallen boxer can stand up before the referee counts to 10 and he is ready to fight, then he can continue to fight. But if the Referee has counted up to 10, the fight is finished and decides the fallen boxer lost by «╨Ъ╨Ю»
(5) If both the boxers are fallen, the Referee continues counting all the time any boxer still fallen down. If both of them still fallen down up to counting to 10, the decision is a draw, if there is no other agreement.
(6) During the Referee is counting, but not yet up to 8, the counted boxer whether ready to fight or not, the referee will continue his count from the counted number.
(7) If any boxer cannot perform his fight after the interval has finished, will be counted or not being in the consideration of the Referee.
ITEM 21: GIVING OF POINTS TO COUNTED BOXER BY THE REFEREE
(1) In any round of the fight, when any boxer is being done by Muaythai weapons (fist, feet, knee, elbow) according to the rules, till he is counted by the Referee, the counted boxer will lost 1 point, by thee counted boxer gets 4 points, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:4 ) If he is counted again for the second time in the same round, the counted boxer gets 3 points, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:3 ) And the boxer who is counted twice in the same round is fallen down again for the third time, the Referee will stop the fight by deciding his opponent wins by Technical Knock Out.
(2) In any round of the fight. If the contestants have equal points. When any one is counted by the referee once, the counted boxer gets 4 points, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:4 )
(3) In any round of the fight, any boxer has 1/4 point more (Before or after counting), the consideration is as follows:
a. The leading point boxer is counted once, will lost 1/2 point, the counted boxer gets 4┬а1/2┬аpoints, and the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:4┬а1/2┬а)
b. The leading point boxer, bit is counted second time in the same round, will lose 1┬а1/2┬аpoints, the counted boxer gets 3 i/2┬аpoints, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:3┬а1/2┬а)
(4) In any round of the fight, any boxer has 1 point more, (Before of after counting). The consideration is as follows:
a. The leading point boxer is counted once, the result in that round, both the boxers will get 5 points each.( 5:5 )
b. The leading point boxer is counted twice in the same round, the counted boxer will lose 1 point, the counted boxer gets 4 points, the other boxer gets points. ( 5:4 )
(5) In any round of the fight, any boxer gets 1/2 point less, (Before of after counting). The consideration is as follows:
a. The lesser point boxer is counted by the Referee once, will lose 1┬аi/2┬аpoints, the counted boxer gets 3┬а1/2points, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:3┬а1/2┬а)
b. The lesser point boxer is counted by the Referee for the second time in the same round, the counted boxer gets 3 points, (The lowest points of the fight) is counted by the Referee once, the counted boxer will lose 2 points, the counted boxer gets 3 points, the other boxer gets 5 points. ( 5:3 )
ITEM 22: THE HANDS SHAKING
There will be hand catching before starting Round 1 and final round. The boxers will catch hands as traditional, to mark that they will fight as sportsmen, with cleanness according to the rules of the fight and not to catch hands during the fight.
ITEM 23: THE MEANINGS
This translation is intended to help Thais or foreigners to understand Thailand laws and regulations only, not to use as references, because it is only the original Thai version of legislation that carries legal effect.┬аThaiLaws, therefore, shall not be held responsible in any way for any damage or otherwise the user may incur as a result of or in connection with any use of this publication for any purposes. It’s the responsibility of the user to obtain the correct meaning or interpretation of this publication or any part thereof from Thai version or by making a formal request to the appropriate or related authorities.
Any meaning of this rule or any problem arises due to the contestants, even does not mention in this rule, the Referee will decide. Except such problem has been occurred, & Technical Committee of the Lumpinee Stadium has laid down the procedures, to perform according to such procedures.